Flieger, grüß' mir die Sonne, grüß' mir die Sterne und grüß' mir den Mond. Dein Leben, das ist ein Schweben, durch die Ferne, die keiner bewohnt! - Hans Albers, F.P.1 antwortet nicht (Adaptation in the 80s: Extrabreit)

Monday 29 February 2016

Crash boom bang

I don´t know why, but constructing spaceplanes gets me riled up and keeps me challenged at the same time. Two full sessions pass, without any other progress in the game.



Some versions do not make it even off the runway. We are talking about a 80 ton heavy spaceplane, due to all the fuel intended as a payload. Somehow, the flimsy wing parts do not seem made for this weight. Sigh. Add struts everywhere.

Strutted galore, some versions indeed make it off the runway, but cannot climb anymore. Too much drag meets a too weak engine power.

Trying to prevent having to strut every wing part, I open another tech node for the biggest wings available in one part. However, the lift rate is lower and I have to half the payload. I don´t care, it it would just work out this time!

It did not. So, add more engines, and more wings for more lift power. Looks much better. However, I don´t like the design, and it still has only half the payload (1440 units of fuel), difficult to access, on top because it is totally hidden under the wing parts.

Back to the previous design, then. The right amount of struts and some canards, and I finally have something up. I still do not know whether it will make re-entry, though...

First things first. Docking. The spaceplane the "Fuel Dragon", turns like a slug, despite an extra heavy reaction wheel. I wonder why that is. Looks a bit weird that the supplying spaceplane is much bigger than the already big Spacewreck Terminal. But soon, the station will be complemented with the habitat module.

This game session has to end with a cliffhanger. Will my spaceplane make it safely down? I hope this time, I payed attention to the center of mass being way enough in front of the center of lift when empty of fuel. Not as here in the picture from one of my many tries, where CoL (blue) and CoM (yellow) are dead wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment